help@tvm-uk.com +44 (0) 800 038 5868

It’s been wonderful watching the spring colours begin to emerge in our gardens…

…but did you know that spring bulbs can be harmful to our pets? Plants to look out for include; snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils (narcissus), hyacinths, tulips, irises and crocuses.

Plant bulbs contain irritant chemicals called alkaloids, which can be toxic to your pet. The chemicals are most concentrated in the bulb of the plant, however particularly for some plants (such as daffodils), ingesting any part of the plant can be harmful.

Symptoms of ingestion typically include; drooling, nausea (feeling sick), vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. Severe cases can result in; abnormal breathing, increased heart rate, abnormal heart rhythms, low blood pressure, organ damage and seizures. Left untreated, this has the potential to be fatal, so it is very important to seek urgent veterinary advice if you witness or suspect your pet has ingested any part of the plan, including water in vases containing plants (e.g., daffodils).

The severity of toxicity depends on both the type of plant ingested and the quantity, therefore it is useful to identify what plant your pet may have eaten and how much.

If you are concerned your pet might have been poisoned then either contact your vet or call the Animal PoisonLine on 01202 509000.

0 Shares
Share
Tweet
Share